Hey babes and happy Friday Eve… or as I like to call it… my saving grace and the BEST DAY OF THE WEEK! This post is both for my blogger friends and non-blogger friends. So for that reason here’s the skinny on this outfit first… and then I will delve into my BlogHer Conference tips+tricks after!
This is what I wore on Saturday, the last full day of the conference. To say it was hot in Orlando that weekend would be the biggest understatement of LIFE. Like how do you Florida peeps ever have a good hair day? Seriously though… it was hot! So this outfit was great for two reasons. 1. It covered my legs so in the conference break outs I wasn’t dying from being so cold and 2. The top is a light linen material and SOOOO good for the heat outside. Win-win!
I bought this the same day I decided to go to the conference. I mean does anything get more Florida than this? Nope! This top was just too good to pass up. A dress in the same print came out back in May and when I saw this baby I scooped it right up! I highly recommend! I’m taking this on our beach trip this month and plan to wear it with cut offs.
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE BLOGHER CONFERENCE:
I’ve gotten so many questions about BlogHer17 since going last month and wanted to do a recap and let you know what to expect, reasons to go, what I did and did not like about it, and tips + tricks that will help you if you plan to attend the next conference.
- Stay at the conference. Why? I cannot even tell you the hell girls went through who didn’t stay at the hotel just to get there and home every day. Even local girls. It was bad. Not to mention parking was $27/day. Granted, the location will change with every conference… but I would HIGHLY recommend you stay on site. I am SOOO glad I did this!
- Be open minded. What do I mean you ask? Well… this isn’t just a fashion blogger conference. There were bloggers from literally every niche there. From knitting to fashion to health and family and EVERYTHING you could think of. Realize that everyone there isn’t just like you. They don’t have the same audience… and TBH they are smart! Many of them are making WAYYYY more than I do and they know their business. I learned so much from so many ladies outside of the fashion/beauty/lifestyle corner of the internet during this conference.
- Don’t plan on doing everything. Sorry… it’s not possible. I think BlogHer and SheKnows were really trying to cater to many different groups during this conference. There were events with Yoga, movie screenings, and so much more. You can’t do it all… and honestly you won’t want to. Some of the events won’t really peak your interest… and that’s okay!
- Be nice! Okay…. this should go without saying, but there’s always that person or group of people that are just beyond rude and totally turn people around them off. I encountered people like that on this trip. Don’t be that person. You never know who’s around you. For instance… we were in a breakout session and they started doing Q+A. This little guy stood up to speak and I was thinking… oh okay… tech blogger? Nope! He was influencer relations with FabFitFun! Yep… you never know who you are talking to or who can be overhearing your convos! Don’t be an
- Only go to break-outs that will benefit you. There were so many… and you can’t go to all of them. Many happen all at the same time. Two that stand out to me were Facebook Traffic and Multiple Earning Opportunities. I was lucky enough to go to those, but I totally missed the SEO breakout. I went to a session on live video instead. It was so not great… and I didn’t learn anything that benefitted me. Had I done more research on the actual break outs I would have chosen differently. Do your research and make the most of the opportunities you have to learn.
- Budget accordingly and plan ahead for travel. This one was the biggest pain. So I booked a flight with Allegiant… because we have a SUUUUPER cheap flight from Knoxville to Orlando. Well… that airport is an hour away! While it may say Sanford-Orlando, it is NOWHERE near Orlando people. I spent a pretty penny getting to and from the airport. Never again! Oh, but it wasn’t just me. My room-mate spent $70 on a cab from the airport in Orlando less than 10 miles from our hotel. Plan ahead. Get a group together. It can be done much cheaper!
- Network. That was my biggest takeaway from this conference. Meeting people. In Tennessee I don’t get a lot of face to face with other bloggers. I’m not in Nashville and East Tennessee isn’t flooded with bloggers like other areas are. I LOVED getting to meet, learn from, and know other bloggers and people I’ve been “internet friends” with for what seems like forever, but have never met IRL.
- Don’t stay for all the keynotes. Okay… don’t judge, but this conference goes from 8 am to LAAAATE at night if you want it to. The keynotes were not geared at all toward blogging and did not teach any of us anything at all. I’m not going to criticize the key-notes on here because while they were a little too far out there for me… I know others enjoyed them. I just wish I had slept in and ordered room service one of the mornings and caught up on work. I missed a Friday blog post because there was legit no wifi in the conference area for some reason. I could have gotten that done and not listened to some of the keynotes. Lesson learned.
- Wear comfortable shoes. This may seem dumb, but really… we are girls and we favor looking cute over comfort. Just think when packing. I opted for wedges everyday. It helped. I also kept my Tory Burch Millers in my bag so I could swap out if my feet started to hurt. Best decision ever.
- Bring an ample amount of business cards and a hard copy of your media kit. I was lucky enough to get invited to several networking events during the conference. I was legit about out of business cards and didn’t have a hard copy of my kit. I wish I had! I found myself clinging to cards because I didn’t want to run out. I mean that’s what they’re for! Other than fashion week and conferences I think I’ve handed out maybe 10 business cards in my blogging career! This is your time to shine and you want to leave a lasting impression! Do it right!
Thank you so much for reading! I hope this post was helpful! I personally am so happy I decided to attend BlogHer this year and think you will be too if you decide to attend the next one!